Called To Serve

Called To Serve
Mexico, Mexico City North

Thursday, July 10, 2014

First email home

Well here I am! So far everything has gone smoothly. When I first walked into the airport Uncle Bill came up and greeted me. After talking with him for a while I recognized another person. Santiago Ramirez (Used to go to Sky View) was going on the same plane as me. So right off the bat I had a friend. When I got on the plane I expected to be by the other elder going to Mexico City North.. That was not the case. A man with tattoos and gauges sat by me. I talked to him and he was really nice! He was on his way home from visiting his family in Wyoming and was headed back to his home in Louisville, Kentucky. On top of that he had just gotten done with his first year of Southern Baptist Seminary. That just showed that you really can´t judge a book by its cover. I then proceeded to sleep for most of the flight. At Dallas I talked to a few of the other missionaries. I met two sisters going to Mexico City North. That makes four that I know of going to that mission. The Dallas plane was just kind of long honestly. I talked to one elder that I was sitting by for a little bit, but other than that I just sat there or slept. Flying over Mexico City was a way cool experience. All of the pictures that you see of it being jam packed don´t give it justice. There is a ton of color all around and there are buildings as far as you can see. They even have those stacked houses along the mountain side like the pictures I´ve seen of places like Rio. We rode a bus over to the Mexico MTC and you´ll never guess who the first Elder I saw here was... Elder Austin Farley!! I got all my stuff and went to the doctors room who told me I had to get a tetanus shot. So that was fun. After that joyful experience, I went to dinner with Elder Peterson (not my companion, I haven´t seen him yet, but his name is Elder Orchard) At dinner I was craving water. I got a big glass of the stuff and sat down to drink it. To my surprise it was not regular water, it was carbonated! I´m not a fan of the stuff, so I stuck with pineapple juice. The meal was super good though other than that. After dinner I got my first sample of the rain. It pours for sure. Overall its been a long day, but its been fun. I am looking forward to getting into the swing of things down here. I am pumped to learn the language and to share the gospel. I know this is what I need to be doing, and that Heavenly Father will help me along the way. I'll be praying for you.
Love, Elder Finlinson

No comments:

Post a Comment